Search for the Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln invites nominations, inquiries and applications for the position of Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development.
The Vice Chancellor provides strategic vision and collaborative leadership to champion faculty and increase the quality and scale of Nebraska’s research and economic development mission to benefit Nebraska and the world.
We invite you to learn more about this opportunity.
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln, a member of the Big Ten Conference and Big Ten Academic Alliance, is classified within the Carnegie “R1: Doctoral Universities – Highest Research Activity” category and is a land-grant university.
The University is located in a vibrant and safe city of 273,000 people that has many of the cultural and entertainment benefits of a much larger city, with the feel of a friendly Midwestern community.
Research and Economic Development
Nebraska is ranked in the top tier of national research universities and has achieved significant research growth – nearly tripling research expenditures over the past two decades. The University’s growth in economic development surged with the 2015 opening of the new Nebraska Innovation Campus, designed to attract private-sector research partners.
The University’s research expenditures totaled $295 million in FY2016. An institutional goal is to exceed $300 million in research expenditures by 2018.
The Vice Chancellor collaboratively leads and develops new programs and research directions to enhance the University’s contribution to new knowledge, innovative R&D partnerships and the national standing of the University. S/he strengthens links with the external community in national and international arenas.
The Candidate Profile
The University seeks a bold and inspiring leader with intellectual breadth, strong interpersonal skills, demonstrated expertise in research-driven programs and policies, experience developing and leveraging partnerships and success leading diverse, complex teams and/or organizations.
Associate Dean of Agricultural Research, Associate Director of Nebraska Agricultural Experiment Station and Interim Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
Holmes Professor of Physics & Astronomy and Director of Nebraska Center for Materials and Nanoscience
- Shireen Adenwalla | Professor of Physics & Astronomy
- Jim Alfano | Bessey Professor of Plant Pathology
- John Anderson | Baird Family Professor of Economics and Director of Central Plains Research Data Center
- Shannon Bartelt-Hunt | Professor of Civil Engineering
- Matt Jockers | Rosowski Associate Professor of English and Associate Dean, Arts and Sciences
- Mark Riley | Professor of Biological Systems Engineering and Associate Dean, Engineering
- Thomas Sattler | Partner at Sattler & Bogen and Member of NUTech Ventures Board
- Susan Sheridan | Holmes Professor of Educational Psychology and Director of Nebraska Center for Research on Children, Youth, Families and Schools
- Mauricio Suarez | Director of Licensing at NUTech Ventures
- Will Thomas | Angle Chair in Humanities, Professor of History
- Harkamal Walia, Associate Professor of Agronomy and Horticulture
- Karrie Weber | Associate Professor of Biological Sciences and Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- Jeanne Wicks | Director of Sponsored Programs
- Sanjay Antony-Babu | Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Biological Sciences
How to Apply
The Search Committee will begin reviewing candidates immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Priority consideration will be given to those materials received by 5 p.m. ET on Tuesday, October 31, 2017. Applications should consist of 1) a letter summarizing motivation, relevant leadership experience and qualifications, 2) a detailed curriculum vitae and 3) the names and contact information for at least three professional references. References will only be contacted with permission from the candidate.
To ensure full consideration, inquiries, nominations, and all applications (PDF files preferred) should be submitted, in confidence, to:
Senior Client Partner & Co-Managing Director, Education Practice
Korn Ferry International
UNL Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Development Search
The University of Nebraska is committed to a pluralistic campus community through affirmative action, equal opportunity, work-life balance and dual careers. See: http://www.unl.edu/equity/notice-nondiscrimination