Related Program Actions

Below you will find information on academic program related actions for the undergraduate and graduate program proposal process. Included is information on codes used for naming programs, how to handle combined degrees, setting and evaluating curriculum, Nebraska requirements for teaching endorsements and certifications, and professional program preparation. Each action has specific processes and requirements.

Accelerated Master’s Program

Accelerated Master’s Programs allow highly-qualified UNL undergraduate students to take UNL graduate courses during their senior year that count toward both their bachelor’s degree and master’s degree in the same or closely-related discipline. Students are therefore able to complete their master’s degrees in a reduced amount of time.

For more information, including instructions for creating a new accelerated master’s program, visit the Office of Graduate Studies website.

CIP Codes

The Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP) provides a taxonomic scheme that supports the accurate tracking and reporting of fields of study and program completions activity across institutions. The CIP is the accepted federal government statistical standard on instructional program classifications and is used in a variety of education information surveys and databases.

CIP codes are selected when the program is established. Changing an established CIP is considered a modification of a program, see the undergraduate or graduate programs page for process and proposal documents. The National Center for Education Statistics provides further information to aid selection of CIP codes.

Combined Programs

Dual Degree (Graduate): Two degrees are conferred, with two diplomas. The degrees may be from two different institutions within the University of Nebraska (UNL, UNK, UNO, UNMC). Dual degree programs housed entirely within UNL are established by submitting an MOU to the Office of Graduate Studies. Individualized dual degree programs may be approved on a case-by-case basis by graduate chairs and the Dean of Graduate Studies. Dual degree programs that involve an external partner, even in the NU system, require and MOU and the approval of the College Deans, Deans of Graduate Studies and the Chief Academic Officers from each institution.

Dual Matriculation (Undergraduate): A student is earning two bachelors degrees. This requires an additional 30 hours added to the student’s program along with the requirements of both degree-granting colleges.

Joint Degree (Graduate): One degree from two institutions within the University of Nebraska. (e.g. UNL/UNO). Joint degree programs are established by submitting an MOU. The MOU requires the approval of the College Deans, Deans of Graduate Studies and the Chief Academic Officers from each institution.


Colleges have the primary responsibility for setting standards for and evaluating routine curricular matters. The Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UCC) and UNL Graduate Council engage in a more substantive review of proposals that have implications that go beyond the individual colleges.

The University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee (UCC) provides a campus-wide perspective on curricular issues, to address curricular policies and make recommendations regarding the present status and future improvement of the undergraduate curriculum. The UCC also reviews requests for ACE certification. A full list of curricular deadlines can be found on the Undergraduate Curriculum Calendar.

UNL Graduate Council considers graduate curriculum actions on 800 and 900 level courses following review at the college level.

Curriculum Information Management (CIM) is the electronic Course Approval system designed for the colleges to electronically submit curriculum requests for approval.

Dual Credit Courses

Dual credit courses are courses offered by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln to high school students for which the students receive both high school and college credit. While dual credit courses are taught by high school instructors in a high school setting, they use the UNL course number, title and content. HLC accreditation requires the university to ensure that high school instructors teaching dual credit courses are qualified to teach them at the university level and that they receive ongoing professional development from the department that offers them.

Dual credit courses are treated similar to any other UNL course. They count toward a UNL degree if the student matriculates to UNL and the grade that a student earns in the dual credit course also counts toward their UNL gpa.

Proposals for a dual credit course arrangement are routed through the Executive Vice Chancellor, Chancellor, NU System President, Board of Regents and Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education.

Dual credit courses are approved for a discounted flat rate tuition. Dual credit agreements are required to report annually to the NU System President. These reports are requested from the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor and are due December 1 of each year.

Propose Dual Credit Course Annual Report Template

Endorsements and Teaching Certification

Endorsements are specific requirements within the undergraduate or graduate major or certificate programs that lead to the recommendation of a Nebraska Department of Education certification. Often this is a teaching certification and administrative certification, but may be an additional endorsement added to a prior certification.

The Nebraska Department of Education determines the content requirements. The University delivers the courses. Field, subject and supplemental endorsements are possible. Completion of the coursework that leads to Nebraska Department of Education endorsements and certifications appears on transcripts.

F-Field Endorsement

Two or more subjects which, considered as a single area of study, represent a wider and broader scope than that of a single subject.

S-Subject Endorsement

Specific course or narrow range of courses taught and offered in a school.

SP-Supplemental Endorsement

An endorsement which cannot exist by itself on a certificate or permit but is added to a certificate or permit only in the presence of other endorsements which may or may not be specified.

The College of Education and Human Sciences (CEHS) offers certification and endorsement programs in early childhood, elementary education, secondary education, special education, school administration and for educational professionals in school psychology and speech-language pathology.

The Nebraska Department of Education (NDE) notifies the College of Education and Human Sciences regarding upcoming changes to endorsements, the college prepares for these changes and submits an annual application indicating the endorsements the College will offer.

The Nebraska State Department of Education (NDE) is responsible for credentialing and licensing Nebraska’s educators as governed by statute and legislative rules.

Memo of Understanding (MOU)

A Memo of Understanding (MOU) establishes terms of collaboration between two units. These agreements are commonly between units in separate institutions but may be between units within the same institution.

The Memo of Understanding and a supporting letter from the dean of the college should be routed to the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for approval. MOUs for graduate programs should first go through the Dean of Graduate Education.

Online and Distance Education

Online and Distance programs at the University of Nebraska reflect the following principles:

  • High quality educational programs
  • Attract new students and net new tuition revenue
  • Enroll students not already enrolled in campus-based programs
  • Designed for admitting “true distance” learners
  • Tuition must be no less than on-campus resident rates
  • Defined as transcripted certificates, degrees, majors, and endorsements
  • Offer 80% minimum of requirements consistently through distance education
  • Requires continuous investment – course development, instructional design, faculty load, GA support, section size, enrollment policies, coordinators, advising, student support, etc.

When submitting proposals for online programs, complete Appendix A: Online and Distance Education included in the template folders for New and Modified Major/Degrees and Certificate programs.

Preparation Programs

Targeted coursework, completed during an undergraduate degree, designed to prepare students for professional programs, typically not offered at UNL, for example pre-health or pre-law programs. For graduate students, preparation programs represent students at UNL pursuing either an initial or adding an additional teacher certification. Graduate preparation programs are transcribed on the official transcript while undergraduate is transcribed only on unofficial transcripts for advising purposes.

The proposal to create, modify or delete a preparation program should be accompanied by a supporting memo from the college dean. The memo and proposal should be routed to the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor.

Preparation Program Template

Subject Codes

A Subject Code (Subject Prefix) is the four-character alpha code assigned to each subject area to designate an area of study (e.g. ENGL). Requests for creation of a new code or modification of an existing code should start with the appropriate proposal template on the undergraduate or graduate programs page and include a memo with justification and a supporting memo from the dean of the college. Memos should be routed to the Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor for undergraduate subject codes or the Dean of Graduate Education for graduate subject codes.


For Undergraduate Programs

Contact Renee Batman, Assistant Vice Chancellor and Chief Administrative Officer at or 472-3751.

For Graduate Programs

Contact Debra Hope, Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Graduate Education, or 472-7940.

Return to Academic Program Processes