First Generation Nebraska
We're working to make our campus more "first generation friendly" by developing links between first-generation college students and faculty and staff who share a similar academic experience.
2019 Fall Semester Events
Reading from “My Time Among the Whites: Notes from an Unfinished Education,” by Jennine Capó CrucetMeet in Love Library 127, Walk to Wick Alumni Center for 5 PM event
First Gen Grad Student MixerDairy Store
"Crossing Borderlands"Faculty and Staff Breakfast and Discussion Red Cloud A,
Willa Cather Dining Complex
2020 Spring Semester Events
Additional spring dates coming soon
About First Generation Nebraska
In fall of 2017, Nebraska's Office of the Executive Vice Chancellor launched First Generation Nebraska, an initiative designed to link first-generation college students and faculty and staff who share a similar academic experience with the goal of making our campus more "first generation friendly."
Acknowledging first-generation status as part of one's identity might seem a small thing, but it can be critical to students' success, helping them easily identify faculty and staff who can relate to particular challenges they might be facing. First Generation Nebraska invites faculty and staff who were first generation college students themselves to participate.
How can faculty/staff participate?
Sign up for our mailing list. You will receive the First Generation Nebraska Button and office placard. Faculty and staff are encouraged to display the placard on their office doors and wear the FGN button to help first-generation students identify individuals who are receptive to sharing their own experiences.
In addition, you will be invited to participate in social events with first generation students and workshops for faculty and staff focused on how to meet the needs of FG students in and outside of the classroom.
The University of Nebraska–Lincoln has been recognized as a First Forward Institution for its commitment to improving experiences and outcomes of first-generation college students. Learn more.
Programs & Promotion
First Generation Advisory Board
The FGN Advisory Board meets once a semester to provide feedback to the EVC office regarding how to best support first generation students, staff, and faculty.
FGN Advisory Board Members
- Amy Goodburn | Senior Associate Vice Chancellor and Dean of Undergraduate Education (co-chair)
- Ashlee Young | (cochair) FGN Coordinator and Associate Director, William H Thompson Scholars Learning Community
- Lori Romano | Director, Center for Academic Success & Transition
- Colette Yellow Robe | Counselor, TRIO Programs
- Darwin Archie | Project Activities Coordinator, Student Support Services
- Blake Graham | Assistant Professor, University Libraries
- Alexis Grossnicklaus | Undergraduate, Psychology
- Jennine Capo Crucet | Associate Professor, Department of English and Institute of Ethnic Studies
- Moi Padilla | Director, Nebraska College Preparatory Academy
- Lesley Esters | Director of Assessment and Staff Development, Student Affairs
- Steven Jara | Assistant Forester, Nebraska Forest Service
- Letty Garcia | Career Advisor, Career Services
- Anna Hiatt | Assistant Professor of Practice, School of Biological Sciences
- Ashley Mulcahey Toney | doctoral student, Nutrition and Health Sciences
- Gwendolyn Combs | Associate Professor, Management, and Director of Faculty Diversity and Inclusion
- Shelby Jones | Undergraduate, Biological Sciences